Sunday, July 22, 2007

My First Pie (and I am NOT Betty Crocker!)

For those of you who really know me, I am not the most domesticated young lady in the world. I've never been extremely talented in the culinary arts, but lately I've wanted to tackle some things that I haven't really done before. I actually enjoy being in the kitchen baking and cooking, but I don't do it very often. This is usually because I work full time and at the end of a long work day, making a home cooked meal from scratch is the last thing I'm up for. But every once in a while, I really have a desire to do something fun and Martha Stewartish. :) Most recently, I've totally wanted to make a pie from scratch; and not just any pie, my hubby's favorite - Blackberry. The other day I bought a half flat of blackberries at the store and decided then and there that I was going to make a pie no matter what. I made the pie crust mixture on Thursday night, divided it in 2 parts and then left it in the fridge overnight since it was about 11 o'clock PM. The next day I rolled out the 2 portions of the pie crust and mixed together the blackberry filling (thank you, Betty Crocker cookbook!). I put the first half of the pie crust mixture in my pie plate and scooped in the blackberry filling. Then I put the second portion of the pie crust mixture over the top and sealed the two portions together and baked away! It turned out so much better than I could have hoped! I can't believe I am this excited about a pie, but it looked pretty and it tasted good!! What more could you ask for regarding your first pie? I took it to share at our church's family camp this last weekend and there was nothing left to bring home, so I think that was a good sign. Plus, my hubby loved it, which is what was most important to me since I made the pie for him in the first place. Here are some pics I took to commemorate the "first" in my life. :)




4 comments:

Tamar said...

as a fellow non-domesticated gal, i can fully appreciate the hard work that went into your pie and the sheer excitement about the way it turned out. only now, having been married for 5 years and with 3 kids do i feel like i'm just now starting to be more of a "home-maker". i'm sure this pie will be the first of many...

Learning to Love said...

Your pie looked beautiful!!! Sam's family has one of every kind of pie it seems like during Thanksgiving (It's kind of a family tradition on his mom's side). So guess how many pies I have made from scratch in the last 3 years......ZERO!!! I think I need to master the homemade pie making as well!!!

Carey said...

Great pie!!! As many of us can testify, pies aren't always so easy and since your first one turned out so good, you'll be an old pro in no time!

Mama Mia! said...

I love it! I wish I would've gotten better pictures of the very Martha Stewartish flowers you had when I was there - you domestic godess you!